Friday, May 2, 2008

Sao Paulo Wow

Hi Friends--
We arrived yesterday (Wednesday) morning after a red eye from Costa Rica through Miami to Sao Paulo. Our host, Paulo Mota, met us at the airport and immediately our tour began. After a Brazilian lunch at the Restoration Ministries Day Center, we went into the Favelas. We visited with a woman who receives dialysis every other day--just like my Mom. However, this woman is just 43 years old, lives in a very, very poor place, and has a life-long history of being abandoned. She told us her story of faith. Her one-sentence story: I did not come to Jesus out of love, but out of pain. Yet as she told her story, the grace of God radiated from her. It is evidence of the grace of God all over again.

Today a small group of Lakesiders joined us here in Brazil. We were taken on a longer tour of the favelas and given explanations of the favela "system" (think slums and squatters). Since it rained hard all day, the children's program today was moved into the Day Center. I wish I could show you pictures today of the children and their leaders and their amazing faith (but I have no camera access for this computer). It reminds me how grateful I am for the ministry of Kidsfest, and how so many children are learning to love Jesus through Lakeside. That same kind of ministry is going on here in Sao Paulo. Wow!

The ministry here is led by Paulo and Ireni Mota. They are a couple of passionate and productive followers of Jesus. They have given their lives, and in many ways their health, to reach these children. Pray for them as they are raising up and training a phenomenal group of leaders to carry on the ministry.

Tomorrow and Sunday we will be at "Camp California". The whole staff amd most of the volunteers are coming up to camp. I will be talking to them about rest, building their soul, and teamwork. I don't know how much I can give them, but they are giving us plenty, especially a great view of the ministry of Jesus in this place. There is much to learn on my part!

Donna and I are well, thoroughly enjoying this journey. Last night we enjoyed my new favorite dessert: Papaya Cream! Wow!

Grace,
Brad

3 comments:

Alice-Marie said...

Donna and Brad, we have been reading the postings daily. Keep it up as it is a great way to give all the courage to participate in a mission.. of any kind. May God bring safety to you all along your journey. I am sure you will come home physcially drained but spiritually filled to the brim !
Alice-Marie and Vic

Anonymous said...

It is so great to hear about your trip. Did Donna happen to receive my card before you left on the early morning flight to Costa Rica? I finally got over to drop it off after 10pm... too late to knock on the door. Love and blessings to you...please give my hubby a hug for me in Brazil! :)

Heather & the boys

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom and Dad!

Thanks for posting thoughts of your journey through the world. It sounds like a great trip so far. Have you been able to visit any of the places Fabi told you about? Or use any of your Portguese vocab? :)

Love you guys!

Love, Breck