Monday, May 5, 2008

Heartbreak in Vila Rosa

After our weekend at Camp California, I preached last night at Restoration Church. It is challenging to try to communicate spiritual truths in a foreign culture through an interpreter. But I think God's word came through mostly clearly.

Today we visited in three favelas (slums). The final stop was Vila Rosa (pronounced Villa Hosa). This sprawling mishmash of dwellings presented the most heartbreaking living conditions I have ever witnessed, and I have seen a few. We walked down makeshift paths between cardboard and plywood buildings straddling raw sewage. All electricity is pirated from the government-run electric company. Wiring is not inspected. Neither is the plumbing. Before we met anyone who lives there, we were already grieving.

Then we met Gabriel's mother. She invited us--the whole group included six of us from Lakeside and another six from Restoration--inside her home. This woman lived with six of her eight children in a squatter's hut built from construction debris. The whole "house" was about eight feet wide and 15 feet long. She had scrounged for every scrap of building supplies. She had built the entire house herself, installed the wiring and plumbing, while earning a living pulling a recycling cart through the slums. Meanwhile, her eight year old son, Gabriel, is a "special needs" boy. I don't know his diagnosis, but I guess something like cerebral palsy. He cannot talk or walk or crawl. He understands little. He cannot hold his head up. He spends his days and nights watching the ceiling, because that is what is in his field of vision.

Gabriel's mom invited us into her bedroom, which she shares with her kids, so we could pray for her family. She said anything that comes from Jesus is good. We prayed for her, but I should have had her pray for me. I think her faith is stronger.

And my friends from Restoration Ministries work in these favelas every day. As I spent this day with the RM team, I watched Jesus at work. I have a whole new concept of "love your neighbor."

If you want to learn more about this ministry, check out Lakeside on Mission on Lakeside's webpage.

Grace,
Brad

6 comments:

Jennifer Foster said...

And to think that my world is rocked over an irrational parent in my class or expensive gas prices. Thank you for your vivid description which reminds me once again that blessings from God should never be taken for granted.

Regards,
Jennifer Foster

Edge said...

This reminds me that we are the rich man in the biblical story. Our Financial Peace class tonight cut up 19 more credit cards bringing our class total to 52 cards. Our total amount of credit offers turned-down since Feb 18th is at $1,221,929. Here's the shocker - that's just among 6 couples. You share about one woman with 6 children in a 8'x15' dwelling. Her faith is an enormous indicator of how much we take for granted from the blessings we have been given. Thanks for the sorbering share Brad. Praying for all of you daily. Edge~

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder of how much we have. Daily I thank the lord but I need to "really" thank him

Alice-Marie said...

Brad and Donna, Reading your entry today took me back instantly to what I experienced in Nairobi. God blessed me incredible in that experience as I am sure he is blessing you. Hold onto that moment. I feel these are the times He grabs us by the heart and never lets go. Stay safe,
Alice-Marie
hey, tell Bethany to update her blog. I am dying to read more of costa rica. !!!!

A said...

Been following along and praying for you since your trip started. I debated whether to leave a comment. This post has been on my mind, at moments I wish I hadn't read it. It's much easier to turn our eyes aside and not look this in the face. I feel that responsibility comes with knowledge. Thank you for sharing, and please keep posting. We love you guys and are so grateful to have leadership who is living the gospel to the world. Annie and Mark Holt

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this story. It makes me remember to be humble, and say "thank you"...and to also say,"How can You use me, Lord?"

Be safe.

Amber Harris
Lakesider