Wednesday, May 7, 2008

What Went Wrong?

Today is the halfway point in our journey--and what a day. It started last night when we left Sao Paulo on the Red Eye to Maputo, Mozambique, by way of Johannesburg, South Africa. We arrived in Maputo at about 10:45 this morning, with about two hours of sleep. We got off the plane, walked across the tarmac and waved to Lynn Schmidt who was waiting for us up on the balcony of the airport. We were tired, but it was all good.

Until we showed up at baggage claim, and Donna's bags didn't...

We filed a claim for her bags and then Roger asked: Where's Eric?
I asked: Who's Eric?
Roger: He's the videographer who was on your plane and who is joining us for this week.
Brad: I don't know Eric and have never met him...
Rodger called out through the airport, "Eric!" until this guy smiled at us and joined our party. Nice to meet you, Eric.

We all drove back to the Schmidts' home, had a snack, then Rodger wanted Eric and me to go to the property which the ministry is developing. We got about halfway to the property when Eric said, "I forgot the battery for the video camera at the house." Not so good.

But we drove to the property anyway and as soon as we entered the gate, the van lurched and stopped. We were stuck up to the chassis in the sand. Not good.

So we got out and walked around the property, guided by Rodger. It was all good, so after a while we piled back into Rodger's van, with eight interns who helped dislodge the van, plus Rodger, Eric and me, and headed back toward home. And all was good until Rodger said, "I just ran out of gas." We coasted off the road.

Which was not too bad until I prepared to get out of the van and discovered, "I've lost my glasses."
Which was not good at all, because I am supposed to teach the interns and preach this weekend at church, and I cannot read without my glasses anymore.

So we walked back to the Schmidts' home and got another vehicle. We drove back to the property, and this gave Eric a chance to remember his battery for the video camera. When we arrived at the property, the lead worker said he had not been able to find my glasses. But I told the Lord, "Lord, I'd really like to have those glasses." I walked back to where we had been stuck in the sand, and there were my glasses, far enough away from where the van had been that the crowd which pushed the van to freedom had not trampled them. So I could see again. That was good.

We called Lynn on her cell phone to report the found glasses and the good video of the property, and Lynn told us that Donna's baggage had arrived with the 3:00 plane. So that was good.

We drove back to the van that had run out of gas, and Rodger filled the tank with fuel. But now we had two vehicles there, which is not a big deal, because I could drive one, except that in Mozambique they do not drive on the right side of the road. But I got behind the wheel and coaxed the van back down the road. Rodger led the way and I followed while Eric shot video and we made it home safely.
Which was very good. Tonight we'll sleep.

Tomorrow we leave for Ilha de Mocambique (Mozambique Island). I think we could use your prayers for that trip!

Grace,
Brad

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds like Satan is on the prowl! I am so glad to hear that everything ended up being okay. God bless you and Donna. We will continue to pray for you two! God bless!

Unknown said...

Piece of cake Brad, piece of cake. Sometimes ya just gotta make it up along the way. God is good. I expect some good photos from you. Your pal, Stacy Tanner

Jennifer Foster said...

Uuumm, the video of you driving on the wrong side of the road looked kinda scary...good job though!

Jordan said...

Thanks for the consistent blog updates...they've been an awesome first-hand description (and eye-opener) to the different cultures and problems and ministries going on around the world. Sounds like you guys are having a great (if crazy and bumpy) trip, which is exciting to hear. Praying for you and the places you're at the people you're with. Keep it up! :-) And by the way, Azuki is doing well too. :-) I look forward to more blogs, and seeing you guys when you get back! - Jordan

Anonymous said...

Hey M&D. <3

I was so worried for you when I first started this blog, but I'm glad everything worked out so far! The video was a nice touch btw. Dad, you must like those videos of you driving off and away ;).

Mom- for the record, I am feeding and walking Zuki, too! And your plants are looking very perky (mostly). lol. My thumbs are not as green as yours.

Love you guys!

Breck.

Anonymous said...

Following your journey and so glad that you and Donna are there spreading God's word. Besides, what would a trip like yours be without a little 'good' not so good' drama. God likes to have fun too! Stay safe and bless you both for the work you are doing to spread Gods word.

Johanna

Mishelle & Wade said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mishelle & Wade said...

All that was going through our minds during this one was DUUUUUUDE...! Things always work out for the best don't they...God is awesome like that! Thanks for sharing the good & the not so good!
Love,
Mishelle & Wade